« Enough To Drive One To Drink | Main | Blog Carnivals »

November 03, 2006



There's a parasite (a mite, I think) of ants that does something conceptually similar, except it replaces a foot. I'll see if I can scan in the image of it.


These guys are pretty creepy! I have come accross them in the British Virgin Islands as well in the mouth of Jacks. I releasede the 'infected' fish since the parasite seems to cause little to no harm to them.


would the parasite make the fish diseased and unable to eat?


Jess -- as I said in the post, the parasite doesn't have much of an effect on the fish. It just uses the parasite to eat instead of its tongue.

The comments to this entry are closed.

About Us

  • Diane A. Kelly
    Diane Kelly is a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, where she studies the neural wiring and mechanical engineering of reproductive systems.
  • James L. Cambias
    Jim Cambias writes science fiction and designs games in the lonely wilderness of Western Massachusetts.